(Send online resume at bottom of page)
Director of Public Relations (St. Louis, MO -- Salary $100K + excellent benefits and relocation assistance.
The Director of Public Relations leads, develops, executes and measures effectiveness of the University’s global public relations efforts, including media and community relations programs, in a manner that supports and strengthens the University global brand. The director will lead a team of direct reports and outside vendors and inspire them to public relations and journalistic excellence that will enhance the University’s success by applying proactive and reactive public relations and media strategy. This position reports to the Associate Vice President & Chief Communications Officer and works collaboratively with other directors within the Global Marketing and Communications Unit and with internal colleagues and across the globe.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Writing media releases, speeches, presentations, talking points, white papers, op-eds, web content, potentially blogs and social media posts and publications and print materials.
• Draft major scripts/presentations for multiple Convocations, Graduations, and other significant events.
• Contribute to editorial standards and monitor communications for adherence to editorial and communications standards and brand language.
• Develop publicity and speaking opportunities around events and thought leadership topics.
• Enhance the University’s reputation through coverage in local, regional, national, international and higher education-related media.
• Manage/lead/coach/inspire direct reports.
• Develop and manage an annual budget.
• Establish and manage quality standards of University public relations materials and efforts, including press outreach, media events, media calls, crisis communications, press material development and success measurement.
• Collaborate with other Unit directors to ensure consistency across channels and areas of expertise.
• Foster a consistent understanding among administrators, faculty and staff to ensure all public relations efforts support University branding and messaging strategy.
• Oversee maintenance of the listing of faculty experts posted online.
• Integrate media and social media appropriately into work.
• Integrate social media appropriately into overall media relations program.
• Lead the primary story-telling efforts for the university working to ensure coverage of diverse topics reflecting the leadership, academic and operational excellence of the university and ultimately, the success of its graduates.
• Work collaboratively with internal communications assuring coverage of most internal stories.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications for Appointment
• Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications or related field. Masters Degree preferred.
• A minimum of 7 years of professional experience, with experience in a higher education institution preferred.
• Proven experience and results in media relations, writing media releases, speeches, presentations, talking points, white papers, op-eds, web content, social media posts, publications and print materials.
• Experience in incorporating video/social media into stories to create lift and awareness and develop relationships.
• Ability to work independently and to lead teams which can include direct reports, departmental colleagues, external partners, and internal constituents with varied knowledge and skills.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills with a consultative approach.
• Experienced in Microsoft Office programs.
• Ability to assess, evaluate and manage outside PR vendors/professionals as needed.
• Ability to proactively identify opportunities to improve public relations efforts and to measure their effectiveness.
May be required to travel.
Internal Communications Specialist (New York, NY) -- Salary $80-110K + bonus.
This position requires significant skills and interaction with various groups across Capital Markets to help drive the development and execution of strategic employee communications plans. Advisory skills, innovation, creativity and the ability to influence are essential to the success of this position. Excellent writing skills are required, as is a solid understanding of capital markets.
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS PLANNING AND COUNSEL
- Accountable (in conjunction with the firm’s senior manager, employee communications, Europe and Asia) for the development and successful execution of the integrated Capital Markets employee communications strategy
- Provide advice on employee communications relating to all areas of the business
- Anticipate and address issues and opportunities that impact employees
- Help drive communications to employees of RBC strategies, priorities and structure for internal audiences
- Influence all stakeholders’ awareness of RBC’s vision and values
- Help with change management communications initiatives
- Help with diversity and CSR internal and external communications programs
EMPLOYEE COMMUNICATIONS ACTIVITIES
- Assess employee communications capabilities and impact and identify immediate opportunities for improvement
- Coordinate internal communication for Capital Markets in the U.S.
- Translation of platform strategy into business employee communication plans
- Review and improve existing platform communication tools
- Help drive greater alignment in messaging across Capital Markets through relationship-building and collaboration
- Work with partners in strategy and the business to upgrade the Capital Markets intranet site to make it more effective and impactful
- Lead and manage the development of regular contributing articles for CMweb and RBCnet (intranet sites), ensuring a vibrant and frequent turnover of compelling stories; manage the upgrade of the Capital Markets intranet in tandem with Internal Communications Manager, Europe & Asia.
- Work closely with HR partners to align their initiatives with platform employee communications
- Ensure a co-ordinated approach with other employee communicators globally to achieve effective global communications
- Help anticipate and address issues and opportunities that impact employees
- Proactively assess communication effectiveness for the purpose of continual improvement
- Influence all stakeholders’ awareness of RBC’s vision and values.
- Provide strategic communications counsel and support in the U.S. to help influence decision-making in support of RBC’s cross-enterprise and reputational goals
- Advise on employee communication plans specific to strategy and change management
- Provide counsel on and develop leadership communications including townhalls
- Speechwriting for internal stakeholders
- College degree
Director of Communications (New Orleans, Louisiana) -- Salary $100-120K + bonus + options + many other benefits and a relocation package.
- Provide leadership in the areas of total management including day-to-day communications activity, media relations and the provision of strategic guidance and counsel to internal clients that will assist clients in meeting their objectives
- Proactively deliver counsel to clients
- Creatively develop and create strategic programming
- Provide leadership in the areas of media relations and strategic guidance and counsel
- Manage and counsel on all press in internal communications materials
- Develop media and internal communications strategy and goals
- Supervise all writing and editing
- Understand clients’ marketing and business goals and strategies
- Understand key client industry issues relating to service lines, markets, technologies, primary and potential competition and general issues facing the industry
- Understand key competitors and their business strategies
- Understand business and cultural trends and issues
- Effectively lead the project management function
- Negotiate contracts with vendors
- Possess excellent presentation skills
- Set challenging growth goals for public affairs/internal communications and others and put into plans to achieve these goals
- Consistently deliver outstanding strategic counsel on client programs and issues
- Effectively delegate to team
- Proven to be a strategic thinker; doesn’t focus solely on immediate task, considers longer-term needs
- Good writing, grammatical, interviewing and verbal communications skills.
- Good organizational, time-management, research and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, shifting priorities, intense deadlines, competing demands and extensive approval processes. TECHNOLOGY PROFICIENCIES:
- Ability to manage a budget.
- Working with management, leadership and support functions, develops key internal messages that support the organization's mission.
- Identifies key internal audiences and understands their communications needs and how they prefer to receive messages. EDUCATION:
Understanding of the Internet, intranets and computer-based databases; Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); understanding of basic online publishing design; understanding of the use of digital photography devices; working knowledge of Photoshop; understanding of Illustrator software preferred.
The Director should have at least 8 - 10 years of related experience and a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in journalism or communications.
Communications Manager (NY) -- Salary $100-125K with many benefits and more compensation opportunity.
The role of the Communications Manager is a key position for an experienced communications professional to provide a valuable media relations and editorial contribution to the Communications group. The Communications Manager will work with the communications team in the development, implementation, management, evaluation and monitoring of communications plans and projects involving media relations, public relations, information dissemination and in other communications activities, as necessary.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Proactive and reactive media relations with various media constituencies, including arranging media interviews, communicating and coordinating with and between company spokespeople from the staff and the media.
• Develop, draft and edit the range of PR and communications materials, including press releases, statements, backgrounders, pitch letters, presentations, articles and web content.
• Project manage communications initiatives.
• Monitor media relating to outreach campaigns, tracking effectiveness of various public relations activities in the media.
• Contribute to and update media contact and monitoring logs.
Position requirements include:
• First-rate editorial skills and the ability to communicate effectively in a variety of print, broadcast and digital media.
• Financial media relations experience, from developing to pitching story ideas.
• Financial industry experience.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Familiarity with new and emerging media.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in any discipline is required.
Five to seven+ years of PR experience in the financial industry.
Associate Director of Public Relations (NY) -- Salary $100-110 with many benefits and more $ opportunity. National, iconic, women's beauty/lifestyle magazine
- Devise the PR strategy and execute the PR plan for the magazine’s monthly issues and daily website content
- Pitch story ideas to media to promote the brand
- Advise the editorial and business staff on press strategies for upcoming stories and marketing programs
- Book national television segments and prepare editors for all on-air appearances
- Position editors as experts for commentary on all topics relating to the magazine
- Identify, media train, cultivate and handle on-air talent
- Work with each department to promote their stories in print, online and on television
- Partner with the online team to determine monthly press plans and online syndication partnership opportunities
- Handle all event press for the magazine, ranging from large scale red carpet events to intimate celebrity cocktail parties and advertiser events
- Project manage and develop brand extensions including television shows, product development, books and philanthropic initiatives
- Strategize, manage and facilitate press for magazine special projects
- Present press results to the advertising sales team weekly to help position the magazine in the marketplace
- Contribute editorial ideas that will generate press for the magazine
- Manage external PR agencies and freelancers on special projects.
Corporate Media Relations Director (NJ) -- Salary $125K + up to 20% target bonus + $20K in stock
- Maintain regular direct contact with VP of Communications and related team members on all ongoing media relations issues.
- Serve as spokesperson with the press in North America and provide assistance in interacting with international press.
- Interact with journalists inquiring about news-making situations and unexpected confrontational situations. Demonstrate and maintain ongoing relationships with tier-one reporters, editors and news agency correspondents of national, local and specialized trade publications.
- Manage the development and implementation of company's PR plan, basing priorities on the markets in which the company has operations in order to increase the overall reputation and market awareness of the company brand, and advocating for the business by building and maintaining positive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
- Develop and successfully utilize press releases, pitches, editorial board meetings, interviews, case studies and by-lined articles.
- Counsel the company on the development of and contribute to the execution of a social media strategy.
- Develop and maintain strategic messaging that can be used to drive communications materials throughout the year.
- Create and prepare senior management for interviews and public speaking engagements, press conferences, editorial board meetings, journalist roundtables, and other thought leadership initiatives. Prepare spokesperson media backgrounders, briefing book, talking points and Q&A materials.
- Collaborate with other departments within the company including government and community affairs teams to protect and enhance the company’s brand and support business development efforts.
- Manage outsourced PR activities and provide agency direction and oversight for success. Ensure regional PR agency teams meet company’s standards and are trained and equipped to achieve high satisfactory results.
- Counsel and lead regional and international communication colleagues with respect to media relations issues.
- Develop standardized corporate communications guidelines, key messages, materials, templates, and program/plan framework for regional and international counterparts.
- Spearhead and coordinate the company’s advertising activities in the U.S.
- Work with VP of communications and other relevant executives to identify and cultivate third party endorsements.
- Apply communication measurement techniques to report ROI on a quarterly and annual basis.
- BA/BS in communications, public relations and/or journalism. Masters Degree a plus, but not required.
- A minimum 8 years of experience in media relations, journalism, public relations or corporate communications with a multi-national corporation.
- Prior experience with energy, waste or industrial industries preferred.
- Significant experience managing communications relating to controversial businesses coupled with issues management experience as it relates to dealing with hostile NGO’s, community groups and local politicians is essential.
- Significant experience developing communications about and serving as a spokesperson for M&A transactions and balance sheet engineering.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the structure, operations, reporting requirements and editorial practices of print and broadcast media internationally.
- Leading-edge, clever and persuasive thinking, with a journalistic point-of-view.
- Demonstrated capabilities in working effectively with cross-functional teams and separate regional and international teams.
- Strong project management skills and commitment to results.
- Excellent written communication, editing and presentation skills.
Corporate Director of Communications (Baltimore, MD) -- Salary: to $115K / Bonus eligible 10-15%, Reports To: VP, Strategic Activities Group
- Oversee company's internal/external communications and strategy, media relations, graphics, copy writing, and community outreach. Provide support to the Management Team. Manage a Community Response Program to understand, respond and follow up on questions and complaints received.
- Assist the Communications Managers with the development of on-going relationships with all area Stakeholders, such as regulatory agencies, local officials, community residents, reporters and researchers, etc.
- Create a Crisis Management Plan, write press releases and media/political strategies and message points for our lobbying firms.
- Lead the Company’s re-branding effort.
- Assess how regulatory and outreach information flows into and out of the Company.
- Put together Fact Sheets regarding services, monthly newsletters, safety, and talking points for specific situations.
- Establish a chain of command and authority for responding to press so that we are never in a “no-comment” situation.
- Create a proactive Social networking Plan.
- Compose materials to train employees on the Public Relations aspects of regulatory compliance.
- Oversee Company's website with the assistance of Information Technology staff.
- Supervise graphic-related materials including written, video, computer supported graphics, and web-based communication.
- Nurture relationships with the media and provide continuous information as the primary spokesperson.
- Perform a variety of professional level duties in support of public information and community outreach programs.
- Participate in researching, designing, planning, and implementing public information or educational campaigns.
- Identify target audiences and develop pertinent messages.
- Participate in the development of a variety of written materials for informational purposes.
- Perform desktop publishing functions utilizing applicable computer software and graphics materials.
- Knowledge of concepts, practices, procedures, methods, and techniques used in public relations, media relations, and community outreach.
- Basic operations, services, and activities of a public information and community outreach program.
- Methods and techniques used in developing communications for internal and external audiences.
- Writing principles and practices including elements of persuasive writing and argument.
- Operational characteristics of desktop publishing operating systems.
- Graphics materials and tools used in the area of communications.
- Basic principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Work cooperatively with other departments, and outside stakeholders.
- Effectively represent the Company to outside individuals and agencies to accomplish the goals and objectives of the company.
- Respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries from the public, press, or other agencies on sensitive issues in area of responsibility.
- Ability to interpret technical information for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field.
- Masters’ degree is preferred.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in the development of public information and community outreach.
- Ability to travel extensively.
Corporate Communications Executive (MA) -- Salary $100-105K with attractive incentive bonus.
- Leading energy company needs government affairs/lobbying/internal and external communications/media relations and grassroots/community relations expert.
- Focus on the Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland regions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills mandatory.
- Report to regional director to create and implement issues campaigns to achieve firm's operational and commercial objectives.
- Create campaigns to support region-wide development efforts; develop lobbying campaigns to support and oppose legislation; make public presentations to business and community groups and legislative/regulatory forums; draft presentations, report and talking points for management; manage PAC committee solicitations; create effective relations with elected and appointed officials (reps from governor office, state cabinet officials, senators and county commissioners, mayors and other officials.
- Legislative tracking and issues monitoring.
- Draft legislative testimony, legislation, collateral material and other issues-related documents.
- Must know and understate state and federal campaign finance laws and regulations.
- Must work within political arena.
- Political acumen and knowledge with PAC structure and grassroots campaigns.
- Regular visits to D.C. and monthly to firm's NJ headquarters.
- Experience in energy/electric industry preferred. SIGNIFICANT car travel required.
- Long hours in fast-paced environment.
Media Relations Manager/Food-Consumer (NJ) -- Salary $100K+
- 7 - 10 years experience working with media in a spokesperson role.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and customer-service mindset.
- Detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong writing (bylined articles, releases, proposals, member profiles and other press materials) skills.
- Proactively pitch stories to the press, coordinate video shoots, make on-camera appearances when necessary.
- Assist product divisions to support new product/service introductions; draft news release, place bylined articles; develop key messages & Q&A documents related to issues and programs; work closely with senior management and membership; media relations support at community events and press conferences; special event management, media training for internal clients; train and develop staff.
Communications Manager/Food-Writing-Consumer (NJ) -- Salary $100-110K.
- 5- 7 years' writing/journalism and media relations experience; food industry a plus.
- Develop info for external communications targeted to consumers and media.
- Effectively convey business objectives, corporate image and positioning.
- Ensure that all marketing and corporate communications are consistent in delivery and design and conveying key corporate messaging.
- Strong writing skills and keen sense of visual esthetics and working knowledge of graphic design and print production.
- Detail and deadline-oriented; able to juggle multiple projects, establish production schedules and budgets and function in a team environment.
- Write press releases, editorial, articles and feature stories; research and prepare responses to media queries; pitch stories; analyze media results and coordinate distribution.
- Handle all consumer marketing communications (brochures, newsletters, community report and direct mail pieces.
- Develop and write website content. Develop and execute consumer education programs linked to food safety and nutrition. Serve as liaison with client departments/divisions and vendor partners. Interface with graphic designers and technical support team.
Public Relations Manager/Law Firm (NY) -- Salary to $135K.
- Promote firm's reputation via press relations and partner introductions.
- Responsibilities include regular media contact, writing news releases, overseeing all website content, media-training senior executives, securing key speaking opportunities for management, update annual recruiting brochure and partner web bios.
- Background must include strong experience in law firm or professional services PR, writing skills and ability to juggle several projects simultaneously.
Director of Public Relations (NY) -- Salary $120-130K
- Renowned international consumer product brand requires dynamic leader (8 to 12 years’ PR experience; some in-house strongly preferred) to oversee corporate and product PR. Create, develop and execute product launches, PR campaigns and internal communications.
- Strategic thinker.
- Manage in-house PR team and external PR agencies.
- Raise profile and awareness of firm within tech, engineering and entrepreneurial media.
- Work with sales and marketing teams.
- Strong writer who can handle a variety of styles – opinion pieces, press releases, exhibition information.
- Travel throughout the U.S. and occasionally overseas.
Corporate Communications Executive (New England) -- Salary $140-160K.
- The Corporate Communications Executive creates a proactive, targeted, and high-energy communications program that will keep a positive light cast on the company’s leadership in the areas of personalized medicine – proprietary targeted therapeutics and diagnostics.
- This person leads corporate level PR and Media initiatives by identifying and securing opportunities for the CEO and Company to be featured publicly in order to position the company positively with investors and industry.
- Will also play a central leadership role internally, driving management teams to develop news events, assemble actionable story-lines and disseminate other information necessary to support the communications effort.
- Ten years of experience and some travel required.
- Commuting distance from Boston.